Click here for the flyers.
Week of 03/03/2014
- Pretzel Sale has been rescheduled from this Wed, to next Wed. March 12th. Please send $1 (in an envelope marked pretzel sale) with your child if they wish to purchase a pretzel and have not prepaid.
- March Bucketfillig Calendar… please see the calendar below from Mrs. Hoffman, with all of our wonderful bucketfilling events at Old Bethpage. Also included, is an informative flyer on social/emotional learning. Community_Bucketfilling_calendar_-march_2014.docx Social_Emotional_Learning_themes_2013-14.docx
- Annual Ducks Game…save the date for May 17th
- Famous Parents Night Out…save the date for April 3rd
- OB PTA Meeting will be held on Monday, March 10th at 9:30am
- POB Schools App – POB now has an official school district app! The app can be downloaded in the Apple App Store, and it will be available in different forms (i.e. Android, Google Play, Amazon) shortly. If you cannot locate the app in the Apple App Store, click on the link below from your mobile device, and you will be directed to the proper location in the store. The app is FREE. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pob-schools/id822806933?mt=8. When prompted, if you allow “push notifications,” the district will be able to send you periodic messages and alerts.
- The Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District is hosting its third annual Parent University on Tuesday, March 4 at Mattlin at 6:15 pm. They will be offering workshops for parents of our K-12 students. Some sessions will focus on academics, social-emotional concerns and others. Also scheduled are workshops on strategies for financing college, the ins and outs of students’ technology usage, and the social well-being of our children. If you haven’t signed up yet, walk-ins are still welcome!
- School Policies and Regulations-Your written comments and/or reaction is requested for the Proposed Board of Education Policies. These policies and regulations, along with your comments will be presented to the Board of Education at their Wednesday, April 9, 2014 meeting. During your review please keep in mind how these policies and regulation may relate to the district’s mission statement and comment accordingly.The mission of the Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District is to provide an academically challenging and stimulating environment for all students, and to enable them to realize their full potential to be happy, ethical and analytical citizens of the world. We do this by: making tolerance, acceptance, respect, honesty and kindness expectations for all students and for members of the Plainview-Old Bethpage school community, identifying each student’s academic, social-emotional, aesthetic and physical needs, and striving to meet those needs; and encouraging communications between and among students, teachers, parents, administrators, and community members. Please return the forms by March 11, 2014 (for circulation memo dated February 11, 2014) or March 28, 2014 (for circulation memo dated February 28, 2014) Visit http://c2.pobschools.schoolwires.net/Page/13 for the memos and response forms. Thank you in advance for your input.
- The Budget Process has begun. All budget materials can be reviewed on the district website on the Business and Finance page:http://www.pobschools.org/Page/541 Although the presentation focusing primarily on the middle schools hasn’t yet taken place (scheduled for the Monday, March 17th meeting) it is important for EVERYONE to look at what our budget covers and what it doesn’t. Being informed is very important!
- Cyberbullying 101 for Parents and Educators Workshop – Another great workshop opportunity is being offered by the district on June 10, 2014 at Stratford Road Elementary School LGI from 7:30-8:30pm, (Originally Scheduled for February 5, 2014 but it was a snow day). The target Audience is grades K-6. Please see attached flyer for information. Cyberbullying_Parent_Events_Flyer_13-14_v3.pdf
- Last year’s St. Baldrick’s head shaving event at Mattlin Middle School was a huge success and raised over $40,000 for childhood cancer research. This year the event will once again be held at Mattlin on March 25th . Registration is open on the St. Baldrick’s website (at http://www.stbaldricks.org/events/mypage/10352/2014). Please sign up and spread the word to anyone who you think would like to join us for another worthy event. Let the fundraising begin! Hope to see you all on March 25th.
- The annual Little Doctors’ blood drive is coming to Mattlin on March 11, 2014 from 3:30pm-9:30 pm in the Mattlin cafeteria. This drive will include select 5th grade students helping out as “Little Doctors” (in scrubs!). They greet donors, serve them refreshments and make them personalized thank-you notes. This event can only be successful if donors come out to support the students’ efforts. We encourage everyone to come down and be a hero – save a life!! Please return the flyers that were brought home in your child’s backpack with a convenient time for you to donate or email Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our drive is more important than ever because our area is in a Blood Emergency due to the severe winter weather we have experienced. This means that there is less than a one day supply of one or more blood types. We hope to fill part of this critical need.
- You are invited to our Founder’s Day Awards Dinner– to be held on Wednesday, March 12 at Crest Hollow Country Club. An invitation with details for securing your reservation is attached. Please send in your checks ASAP as seating arrangements need to be finalized. We hope you can join us in honoring this year’s recipients!! Founders’_Day_2014_Old_Bethpage__Invite.pdf
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns,
OB PTA President